An unwanted guest like mice definitely leaves some terrible memories behind. Though these creatures look harmless, they can become carriers of some life-threatening diseases such as plague, leptospirosis, hantavirus, salmonellosis and many more. Everyone wants to keep his home healthy, but it is very essential to take some precautions while disinfecting your home after getting rid of mice. Here we have listed some useful suggestions on safe home cleanup procedures after getting rid of creatures like mice.
- Don’t dare to clean the mouse inhabited areas with bare hands. Though the surface may look clean from outside, in reality it isn’t. Before you start with the cleaning procedure, wear a rubber or vinyl gloves and carry them until you cleanup everything.
- In order to avoid some other clean surfaces getting contaminated, spray disinfectant on gloves occasionally. You may have to do this especially when cleaning the surfaces like cabinet pulls and doorknobs.
- The dropping and urine of mouse dry out very quickly. So just cleaning the moisture doesn’t mean you will get rid of germs.
- Avoid vacuuming the mice dropping or nests as this cleaning method may generate large number of virus particles. It is always recommended to saturate the mouse nests or mouse droppings with disinfectant mixtures especially areas where mice have lingered.
- You can make a disinfectant by mixing a gallon of water with 1 ½ cups of bleach. Spray this cleaning solution on infected areas and leave it for more than 10 minutes to show its effect. Wipe down all the countertops and cabinet shelves with disinfectant.
- Put all infected and contaminated material in trash bags of plastic with tight seal. Put this trash bag in another trash bag and dispose them in garbage bins.
- Once the cleaning is done, disinfect your gloves before removing them. Wash your hands properly, once you take the gloves off. It is always recommended to scrub your hands with soap and warm water for at least 30 seconds.
Above mentioned suggestions are quite easy to implement and it won’t take much time to complete the entire cleaning process.